Baltimore

Baltimore

Thursday, October 2, 2014

The reality of 3rd grade blogging....

Last week was the official launch of our classroom blog. My partner teacher and I decided to use the tool Kidblog (found here) in our third grade class and it has not been without its challenges.

We originally decided to create a blog as a way of assessing student work, promoting collaboration between students and as keyboarding practice for the upcoming PARCC exam (which is being offered completely online). In our class readings by Richardson (2006), the author lists many other "pros" of using blogs as a collaboration tool:

  • They promote critical and analytical thinking
  • They promote creative and intuitive thinking 
  • They help to combine personal reflection with social interactions
  • They provide a medium for increasing exposure to information
However, we did not fully anticipate all the challenges that we would face when introducing the weblog to the classroom.

The first challenge we faced was that our students were far less "tech-savvy" than anticipated. We spent a considerable amount of time instructing (and repeating directions for) how to access the website and log on. Once the students successfully found the space, they immediately wandered off and could not find their way back to the home page to complete the activity. When found, they proceeded to create their blog entries using "text talk" and not complete (or coherent) sentences.

What have I learned from this?

Our blog project will be an ongoing process that may not yield any real usable data in the near future.

I also learned that I need to plan for several mini lessons before we attempt to use the blog for collaboration. Richardson (2006) heavily stresses the need for online safety education, especially at the younger grades. I plan on conducting a lesson next week that is geared toward the dangers of being online and how students can protect themselves.

I also need to have mini lesson where we discuss appropriate forms of language for communication at school (both when writing the blog and when responding to it in a thoughtful manner).

Some of the resources that I have found helpful as I plan these mini lessons are:

StopBullying.Gov - this is a government website that provides information for students and parents about bullying, including cyber-bullying. There are fun videos that model how to respond in a bullying situation
StopBullying.gov


ReadWriteThink - a resource for teachers on how to use the blog in the classroom at every level and how it can be introduced to students ReadWriteThink

abcya.com - online games for students grades K-5. In addition to ELA and math games, this website has several varieties of keyboarding games that students can use to improve typing skills. abcya.com

No comments:

Post a Comment